Clifford’s Tower is a striking landmark in the city of York and the largest remaining piece of York Castle. Initially, this mound of earth was the site of a timber tower that was burned down in 1190. The stone tower was built in the 13th century and despite the importance of the city, York Castle was used for administrative purposes as opposed to a royal residence. Though it was used as a prison or storage, it was occasionally the home of the Exchequer and various treasuries as well as keeping an important royal mint secure.
As the lasting example of York Castle, Clifford’s Tower is an important stop on a tour of York’s historical buildings. Lucy from the blog On The Luce recommends stopping at the tower:
“If you have time call in at Clifford’s Tower next door (£5 adults, £4.50 concessions, £3 children 5–15 or free with a York Pass), all that remains of the original castle built by William the Conqueror. It’s especially pretty in spring when the hill around it is covered with hordes of daffodils.”